Manel Atserias Luque (August 25th, 1990; Barcelona) is the founder and president of the «Instituto de Salud Mental de la Abogacía – Mental Health Institute of Legal Professions (ISMA-MHILP)«, secretary and legal advisor of the “Gaudeix del Bàsquet Barcelona” Sports Club (and its Basketball Camps), the VEUS Federation, and TOC 2.0 Association. Likewise, he is a basketball coach and a member of the International Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Foundation (Boston, US).
Manel received the law degree at Pompeu Fabra University (UPF). After joining the Barcelona Bar Association (nº 42,025) and Young Lawyers Group of this organization since October 14th, 2014; he took the mediatic case #NoPayNoCoach (basketball coaches’ licenses) for personal causes.
After, he passed his postgraduate studies (Advanced Master in Legal Sciences) at UPF. During this academic training, he attended the University College Dublin Sutherland School of Law as part of the “Comparative International and European Law” (CIEL) Exchange Program.
– POMPEU FABRA UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
- Title of Master’s degree: Advanced Master in Legal Sciences, September 2018
- Specialization: Comparative Constitutional Law, European Union Law, and Human Rights
– UNIVERSITY COLLEGE DUBLIN, Dublin, Ireland
- Participant of the Masters in Comparative, International and European Law (CIEL), September- December 2016
- Courses: Law of the European Convention on Human Rights, Law and Governance of the EU, and Victims.
– POMPEU FABRA UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
- Bachelor of Law, September 2014
- Mention: Private and Public Law
– INSTITUTO DE SALUD MENTAL DE LA ABOGACÍA – MENTAL HEALTH INSTITUTE OF LEGAL PROFESSION (ISMA-MHILP)
- Founder, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain (September 18th, 2017-Present)
The «Instituto de Salud Mental de la Abogacía – Mental Health Institute of Legal Professions (ISMA-MHILP) is an independent non-profit charity, constituted on May 4th, 2018 and registered with the National Associations Registry (Num. 616034) of the Interior Ministry of the Spanish Government on August 9th of this year. Its primary function is to work for the wellbeing of: legal professionals (lawyers, court agents, judges, prosecutors, and civil service of the Administration of Justice), candidates who are preparing to exercise any legal profession, and law students.
- Co-Founder, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain (December 29, 2016-March 12, 2017)
Milbrait is a non-partisan international platform which focuses on legal research (judicial interpretation, legal policy, private international law, legal marketing & communication, and legal culture), discussion on global challenges of the 21st century (economic and political governance, digital era, globalization, human rights, climate change, artificial life, and mental health), and its collaborators’ personal brand.
– TOC 2.0 ASSOCIATION
- Legal advisor, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain (March 2016- Present)
Providing legal advice to people who suffer Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
– CAMPUS GAUDEIX DEL BÀSQUET
- Legal advisor, Barcelona-Salardú, Catalonia, Spain (July 2011- Present)
This basketball campus was part of UB Barça (basketball female team). For this reason, the original name was “Campus UB Barça”. Once F.C. Barcelona decided not to have a female basketball team, the campus changes the name “Campus Gaudeix del Bàsquet”.
I draft the rules of this organization every year. Moreover, I am going to create a basketball official team which will have the same name.
– #NOPAYNOCOACH CASE
- Lawyer, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain (November 2014- August 2017)
It was my first official case after finishing my Bachelor of Law at Pompeu Fabra University. This case affected licenses of more than 8,500 Catalan basketball coaches. Among other things, I presented one report to some deputies of the Parliament of Catalonia, as well as publishing some articles in Iusport (an international platform specialized in Sports Law) to denounce this situation and to pressure Catalan lawmakers into amending the Law. In addition, I was willing to bring an action against Generalitat Administration and Catalan Basketball Federation if coaches finally had to regularize their licenses.
- Spanish (native)
- Catalan (native)
- English (proficient)
- French (reading knowledge)
- May 25th, 2018: “Evolución de la situación jurídica de la mujer casada en el ámbito del Derecho privado“ (European Law Students’ Association Spain Law Review)
- August 22nd, 2017: “El caso de las titulaciones federativas de baloncesto en Cataluña queda resuelto definitivamente por el TC” (Iusport)
- June 4th, 2017: “Why do I defend the resistance theory?” (European Law Students’ Association Spain Law Review)
- April 25th, 2017: “La materia olvidada de la abogacía española: la salud mental” (Idealex.press)
- October 26th, 2016: “Carta dirigida a los candidatos que quieren liderar la Federación Catalana de Baloncesto (FCB)” (Iusport)
- March 3rd, 2016: “Profesiones del deporte: de todo, menos seguridad jurídica” (Iusport)
- May 24th, 2015: “Una victoria amarga para el baloncesto catalán” (Iusport)
- February 1st, 2015: “Los entrenadores catalanes de baloncesto no pasarán por el aro” (Iusport)
b) Legal reports
- April 16th, 2015: “Informe jurídico sobre el ejercicio de las profesiones del deporte en Cataluña” (Iusport)
- November 30th, 2014: “Informe jurídic sobre la regulació de l’exercici de les professions de l’esport a Catalunya. Les conseqüències negatives de la professionalització de l’esport amateur i formatiu“. (Ara.cat)
- December 12th, 2016: “Lucha por tu libertad y paz interior” (Huffington Post)
- October 20th, 2017: “Salud mental de la abogacía“
- January 2nd, 2018: “Entrevista sobre el TOC“ (Hora Punta, La 1)
V. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
– EUROPEAN LAW STUDENTS’ ASSOCIATION- POMPEU FABRA UNIVERSITY
- Active member, Barcelona, Spain (January 2016- July 2018)
- Editor and participant, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain (October 2013– November 2014)
IUSAPP was a legal research organization which focused on analyzing the civil and criminal law. This organization was composed of law students and professors.
– BOARD OF EDUCATION OF BARCELONA, Sants-Montjuïc District, and Anna Ravell School
- Elected member, Barcelona, Spain (November 2006- September 2008)
– INTERNATIONAL OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER FOUNDATION(IOCDF)
- Advocate, Boston, U.S. (July 2016)
- Speaker at XXIV Annual OCD Conference (July 7-9, 2017)
- Title: Access to Proper Treatment: An International Perspective
- Description: Four OCD advocates from around the world discuss common struggles regarding access to proper care- including common barriers and pitfalls such as cost, misconceptions of OCD, lack of training and knowledge, and stigma. Personal struggles and advocacy work will be shared as well. In addition, we will open up the floor to the audience to share their own treatment journeys as well as pose the questions: What would an ideal mental healthcare system look like for people with OCD, and how can we as an international community promote and support that?
- Member, Boston, U.S. (February, 2018)